One day back in September 2013, Stanley decided that hats were the enemy. Living in Dubai, where temperatures in the summer hit 50’C, this wasn’t the best news. But I wasn’t surprised, as lots of things have gone this way since he became a toddler. Peas, highchairs, flotation devices, sandals, haircuts, car washes; these are all the enemy.
Then recently, he spotted a pretty cool straw hat sat on the shelves of his best friend Raffy’s bedroom. And hats were suddenly cool again! I couldn’t get to the mall fast enough to buy one for him – just as summer hits Dubai, this was exceptionally good timing, protecting his blonde curls from the sun on the way to and from nursery.
Don’t get me wrong; we are taking baby steps, introducing the hat for longer periods each day before he snatches it off his head, throws it away in anger and shouts NO! NO HAT! as if he is HORRIFIED that his mother could place such a thing on his head. But then the next day, he asks for it again. So I will win this battle.
And in celebration of hats being back in fashion in our house, here’s a round-up of my favourite hats for stylish little boys (number one modelled by Stanley above)…
1. Straw hat with navy ribbon, £9.99, Zara Kids (click here)
2. Flat cap, £4, Florence & Fred at Tesco (click here)
3. Shark cap, £4.99, H&M (click here)
4. Monkey cap, £5.60, M&S (click here)
5. Los Angeles cap, from £8, Next (click here)
6. Star sun hat, £14, Toby Tiger at House of Fraser (click here)
7. Jaguar print cap, £25, Mini Rodini at Alex and Alexa (click here)
8. Straw hat, £8, Mothercare (click here)
9. NY Yankees cap, £10, Schuh (click here)