In my quest to get healthy things into my fussy son, I have recently turned to smoothies – and this brilliant recipe went down a treat. I decided to call it ‘Monster Juice’ thanks to its bright green colouring – and to make it even more appealing, I (badly) drew a monster and stuck it to the glass. As he sipped away, he shouted ‘monster juice! monster juice!’ and I did a silent whoop as I watched him inject a whole glass of apple, spinach, avocado, and mint.
It isn’t just for kids. I also had a glass and it’s really delicious. The perfect thing for morning as the avocado is filling. You can’t taste the spinach at all (great if you are low on iron like me) – and the avocado gives it a creamy texture without affecting the taste. The overriding flavour is juicy apples and a touch of mint. And it’s only 115 calories per glass. Winner.
So here’s what you need to throw into the juicer (nb: you can use a food processor or blender too, just sieve it before you serve to get rid of the bigger chunks).
- 30g Baby Spinach
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- Handful of Fresh Mint Leaves
- 400ml Apple Juice (unsweetened)
And here’s what to do:
1. Wash the baby spinach and mint leaves
2. Remove the skin and stone from the avocado
3. Throw the ingredients into your juicer and whizz until smooth. If you want it ice-cold, throw in some ice cubes too.
4. Pour into a glass with a badly drawn monster (or well drawn, depending on your talents) and enjoy watching your child drink a glass of healthiness!
Ill be sharing more of our smoothie recipes over the coming weeks. If you try one, I’d love to hear whether you and your little monsters enjoyed it!