I’m always looking for ways to get vegetables into my two-year old, so handing him a healthy pizza muffin that contains no less than six different hidden veggies is my kind of a good idea. I found this recipe on a website called Super Healthy Kids, but adapted it to make bigger, fatter muffins. They make amazing lunchbox fillers too – you can freeze them in batches, pulling one out to defrost the night before nursery or school. And if your little people love the flavour of pizza, they will adore the flavour of these too!
This recipe comes in two steps – the veggie filling and the dough itself.
Step 1 – Make the Veggie Filling
Jar of your favourite tomato pasta sauce
2 cups of chopped vegetables (carrot, pepper, mushrooms, onion, courgette, and tomato)
1. Chop Vegetables
2. Saute over low heat for 3-4 minutes
3. Blend with the pasta sauce
Step 2 – Make the Dough and Construct Muffins
2 cups wholewheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup very warm water
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/4 rapid rise yeast
- Combine 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the warm water and oil together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until well blended for about a minute. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky. Knead on a floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic. This will take about 4 minutes.
- Place your dough in a large, lightly greased bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rest for 30 minutes in a warm, draft-free place. The dough should almost double in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured work surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a ½-inch thick rectangle, about 12 by 10 inches.
- Spread 1 cup of Veggie Sauce over the dough, leaving a ½-inch boarder around the edges. Sprinkle with grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
- Roll the dough gradually into a large, fat sausage. Slice into 8-12 slices and place each piece into a greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and cooked through the middle.
Let me know if you try them!